Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Xtrabackup Manager - A new home and some more progress...

Hi Folks,

The Xtrabackup Manager project now has a new home on Google Code. Including tasks/to-dos, etc.

You can find the project here:

  http://code.google.com/p/xtrabackup-manager/

If you haven't heard about it yet, the project aims to provide a nice backup management wrapper to the popular "xtrabackup" tool from Percona.

At the moment you can set it up and it will automagically detect when to take a FULL backup (first) and then when to take incremental backups following that. It will even collapse your old incrementals into your FULL backup (seed) based on your snapshot retention policy.

So functionality is coming along nicely!...

I have also started work on some documentation -- it is still a work in progress, but shortly there will be enough there for the more experimental among you to try it out.

I'll make another post once that is ready.

Interesting in contributing? Please reach out to me and let me know. I'm interested in finding someone who may like to develop a Web Front-end for it in PHP.

Until then, I will keep plugging away as I find the time.

Cheers,
Lachlan

3 comments:

  1. Lachlan, looks like an interesting project, will be following it closely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it happens, I'm also writing scripts around xtrabackup today. I will take a look at this.

    First reaction: Could you change the license to GPLv2 or later? That is what MySQL and xtrabackup use. I know these are separate scripts and PHP code even, but still, just in case we want to mix and match something from innobackupex or something.

    ReplyDelete