Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Xtrabackup Manager - Updates and MySQL Conference Observations..

After talking to a number of people at the MySQL Conf last week, it seems there is a pretty high level of interest in a tool like Xtrabackup Manager. This is great news!

I also got a chance to discuss with some folks about what their needs might be and how they would use such a tool. Hopefully I can make sure that those needs are met as I'm developing things.

The other day I finally committed the xbm-conftool contribution. You can now manage the configuration of your hosts in your favourite CSV editor and then import it into the DB.

I have also now started work on making sure that Xtrabackup Manager will run on Nexenta. If you're not aware, Nexenta is a Solaris kernel based system with a Debian userland -- basically OpenSolaris with apt-get.

The main reason for this is that I really like the idea of using a ZFS based system to run as my backup host. It means I can have the filesystem do compression behind the scenes, which saves on disk usage, but I don't have to worry about it in the user space -- This makes it easier to manage backups because I don't have to worry about compressing and uncompressing stuff all the time. This simplifies operations like applying incremental deltas into full backups.

So far the main aspects of the Xtrabackup Manager code seem to "just work" on Nexenta which is promising, but more testing is needed. I've had to make a small change in the way flushing to the crontab is done, since it seems the crontab command in Nexenta does not support installing a file in the crontab of another user.

I've been side-lined with some other work tasks this week, but I'm hoping to get back to Xtrabackup Manager soon.

Lachlan

No comments:

Post a Comment