I just realised that it has now been just a little over a month since I have posted anything regarding XtraBackup Manager!
Fear not friends, I have been working on the most significant changes and additions in XBM yet -- the addition of backup strategies.
With backup strategies you can get better control over when you want to take full backups and when you wish to take incremental backups.
I'll be making a more detailed post once I finish and push the code, but here is a little sneak preview of the kind of things it will do:
* Take full backups only, maintaining up to the last X backups.
* Take a full backup and then incrementals only, maintaining up to the last X backups
* Maintain N sets of backups, where each set has a full backup, followed by X incrementals.
* Rotate backup sets based on different rules like day of the week or after N successful backups.
* Choose which days of the week you want to take your full backups on and take incrementals on the rest!
* Control the number of sets of backups to keep -- old ones will be deleted.
* Keep a separate materialized copy of the most recent backup you took - No waiting to apply days of diffs in the event you need to restore!
The internal refactoring to support these features has made XBM much easier to build on, which is great news for those who may wish to either create their own patches or request features be added.
That's it for now, but keep your eyes peeled for more updates as I push towards a first official release!